Complex LiveArchive Migration Project
Mount Nittany Health
Founded in 1902
State College, PA
Founded in 1902
State College, PA
Deployed Phase 1
of LiveArchive Clinical
Jan. to Aug. 2020
Mount Nittany Health found themselves dealing with legacy clinical and financial systems with time-consuming maintenance requirements along with license fees and server support costs that resulted in an increased strain on human and financial resources.
As a result, the organization decided to implement a major strategic initiative to migrate their entire health system to a single Meditech platform, Meditech Expanse. The scope of this project dictated that it be split into two phases: Phase 1 Migrating the ambulatory EHR/PM systems (TWEHR/PM) along with a couple of ancillary clinical and financial systems. Phase 2 Migrating their larger acute care clinical and financial data to the new platform.
List of Challenges Facing Mount Nittany
- Cumbersome clinical workflow and financial operations resulting from multiple disparate, legacy information systems.
- Need to create single sign-on for access to all critical system data.
- Time-consuming limitations on clinical and financial reporting.
- Inefficient processes for creating a secure release of records for HIPAA and operational requirements.
Because of previous experience managing several of their healthcare IT projects, Mount Nittany chose Keena to provide their contemporary archival solution (LiveArchive) and expert consulting services to help manage this project.
Keena and Mount Nittany quickly went to work preparing a project implementation plan for Phase-1 of this large project.
Keena aided in a successful migration of their core ambulatory EHR/PM Systems (Touchworks EHR/PM) and their orthopedic and secondary PM systems (OrthoPad & NetPractice) within 6-7 months.
As a result, we've saved a great deal of time and money by sunsetting expensive and ineffective legacy systems and have replaced them with an integrated, interoperable database with easy access to the critical clinical and financial information we need to make informed strategic decisions daily.
They are our favorite vendor to work with and always find a way to help us accomplish our goals regardless of the circumstances!”
Director of Information Systems, Mount Nittany Health
- Sunset legacy systems freeing ~80 servers, ending license fees, and reduced resources required to maintain these systems resulting in substantial savings.
- Streamlined a multiple system sign-in process to a single, secure sign-on.
- Improved inefficient ambulatory clinical workflow and financial operations.
- Enabled timely and flexible access to building detailed clinical and financial reports.
- Simple and secure release of records capabilities for HIPAA and operational requirements.
LiveArchive presented an opportunity for clinicians to access patient data from all legacy ambulatory systems, through a single sign-on efficiently and securely, which improved workflow and streamlined care delivery. In addition, clinicians now had much easier access to flexible clinical and reporting capabilities to help their continual quality improvement efforts. For example, radiologists worked with IT to create discreet results reporting for colonoscopy and mammography procedures to address required quality reporting and patient quality of care management.
Improved clinical workflow efficiencies along with data access and reporting capabilities led to improved quality of care and a better healthcare experience for patients. One stop shop for release of patient records – easier, more efficient to get health records into the hands of patients, when needed.